Font Size:

Historical Society

 

A website for the Historical Society was launched in March 2016, please CLICK HERE to be directed to their site.       

Burk’s Falls Historical Society

District Heritage Centres within the area include the Watt Century Farmhouse and Heritage Centre and the Wiseman Corners Schoolhouse. The Heritage Centres are open from May to October. Everyone is welcome. Donations are gratefully accepted.
         

The Watt Century Farmhouse and Heritage Centre

827 Chetwynd Road, Township of Armour

The Watt Century Farmhouse comes with a long legacy and is a wonderful site for historical preservation. The Watt family farmhouse was built in 1902 by John R. Watt and his wife Mary Marshal. John was born to Scottish parents on March 14, 1856 in Lanark Country. In 1874 he came to Armour Township and settled on lots 10 and 11, concession 7 near the Magnetawan River at what is now known as Watt’s dam. The property was obtained through the free land grants, which promised free property to settlers willing to move from England to Ontario. John married Mary Marshal on February 23, 1881. Three children were born to the family, James, Dick, and Annie. While living in Armour, the family also boarded men working on the railway who went through the area in 1885. In 1889, the family moved to lot 13 on the sixth and seventh concessions — the current location of the Watt century farmhouse. There three more children were born. The barn located on that property was built in 1892 and the house in 1902. In 1931 his wife Mary died and he followed in 1946. John’s son Jack and wife Pearl Jordan carried on the farm. Jack, like his father, was also the secretary of School Section Number Three and served as an Armour Township Councillor for many years. Three children were born to the marriage: Dick, Bill, and Karen. Dick settled across the road from the Watt farmhouse with his wife Diane and their three sons, Darin, Cameron and Grant. The Watt farmhouse is the new location for the Burk’s Falls and District Historical Society. The property was purchased two years ago by Northland Power as the site for the company’s Solar East Project. The farmhouse on the property has been leased to the Historical Society for 21 years, less a day.


Wiseman Corners Schoolhouse

112 Midlothian Road, Township of Ryerson

The Schoolhouse is dedicated to the pioneers who first settled in this area. Located at Wiseman’s Corners, the building is that of the original schoolhouse, S.S. #4 Ryerson. The school was built in 1893 and carried on successfully for about 45 years. The land consists of a half acre and was purchased in 1892 for $1.63; that sum included 63 feet of lumber!



HISTORICAL SOCIETY MEETINGS

The Burk’s Falls and District Historical Society meets on the third Monday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the Fell Homes Apartments, 5 Mary Street, Burk’s Falls.


“This is a new and exciting opportunity to promote the area, preserve the heritage of the area, and acknowledge the hard work of our forefathers in developing the area.” - Society president Linda Maurer