spacer
Township of Armour Logo
Home
About Us
Meetings
Documents
Links
Fire Department
spacer

 

Search the Armour Township website powered by FreeFind
spacer
Robert Miller photo
spacer

Welcome to Armour Township

 Follow Armour on Facebook  Community Facebook Page   Katrine Community Centre on Facebook                 
           LISTEN to this website - BrowseAloud FREE software 

 2014 MUNICIPAL & SCHOOL BOARD ELECTIONS INFORMATION 

CLICK TO FIND OUT                    

Located in Ontario Canada, we are a two hour drive north of Toronto. Armour Township is a "single-tier" municipality located on the Canadian Shield in southeast Parry Sound District just north of Huntsville, Muskoka. There are numerous recreational lakes in Armour, the largest of which are Little Doe, Three Mile and Pickerel. The North and South Magnetawan Rivers are major natural features which also contribute to the recreational and rural character of the municipality. They flow out of their headwaters in Algonquin Park to the east and eventually meet in ArmoJohn Douglas Armourur within the Village of Burk's Falls, from which point the river is navigable for over 43 kilometres on its journey westerly to Georgian Bay.

Historically, Armour was created to facilitate new growth via the 1868 Free Grants and Homestead Act which brought farm families and forestry businesses to the southern precambrian shield area of Ontario. It was named after the Honourable Mr. Justice John Douglas Armour, Chief Justice of Ontario, who would eventually sit as a Judge on the Supreme Court of Canada.

The Grand Trunk Railway came to the Township in 1885 and by 1916 Yonge Street / Highway 11 was open for the first automobiles travelling north from Toronto. During that period, Armour was served by a dozen passenger steam boats and steam tugs which plied the Magnetawan River westerly from Burk's Falls to Lake Cecebe and on to Magnetawan Village with its lift lock down to Ahmic Lake. The last and largest of the steamboats was the 191 ton steamboat Armour, built on the docks at Burk's Falls in 1906.

Armour History Book - 2010 edition, copies still available


MINIMUM MAINTENANCE STANDARDS FOR MUNICIPAL ROADS
(Armour roads are all Classification No. 5)


ACCESSIBILITY POLICIES


The Landfill/Recycling Centre is open all MONDAYS
Closed all WEDNESDAYS and public holidays September - May

Landfill Centre DETAILED HOURS OF OPERATION

HAZMAT DAYS 2014

TRI R BLUE BOX SYSTEM


The Armour Township carbon monoxide by-Law requires every property owner to install at least one carbon monoxide detector in any dwelling containing a fuel burning appliance.

Current Fire Hazard Rating

Learn more about the Fire Hazard Ratings click here.

 

 

spacer
spacer spacer
spacer