Font Size:


705-382-3332 Ext. 25
56 Ontario Street
Chief Building Official:  Paul Schaefer

Before you start a building or renovation project in the Township of Armour, you need to find out:

  • What and where you are allowed to build on your property, and
  • If you need a building permit
Please be advised that all structural additions or improvements require a building permit. 



Your property's zoning will determine what you can build on your property. For example, the Township’s Zoning By-law sets out what uses are permitted; how far a structure must be from the lot lines, etc. Please remember, site plan control may apply to your property. Contact the office early in your planning process to receive specific information about the requirements.


Paul Schaefer, Chief Building Official is available at the municipal office; 
Monday mornings from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm and
Thursday afternoons from 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm.

You may contact Paul at the office with any questions or concerns regarding building in the Township.



Crown land work permits
How and when you need a work permit for projects on Crown land and shore lands.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  Due to a recent court decision, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF) requires a work permit for ALL structures over the water (New/Repair/Replacement) that are greater than 15 square metres (161 square feet).  For further information, please contact the MNRF directly at or toll free at 1-800-667-1940.

Septic Systems

Permit Approval Process
The approval process for permits (not reviews) generally consists of screening the application for completeness, a site evaluation inspection, technical review and issuance of a permit. An approved permit is required prior to start of construction.